Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport
Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport is an international airport that is owned and operated by the Phoenix–Mesa Gateway Airport Authority and serves as a reliever airport used to alleviate congestion at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport,
Constructed in 1941, when it was known as Higley Field, the airport was renamed Williams Field the following year, in honor of Arizona native First Lieutenant Charles Linton Williams. Then, in 1948, the US military acquired it and changed its name to Williams Air Base. At this time, it also became the first jet training base. During World War II, the airport served as a flight training field. The Underground Pilot Training program started there in 1966. It lasted until 1993, when it closed. It was also at that time that Sky Harbor International Airport's traffic began to pick up tremendously, warranting another airport to relieve some of the crowds. Its runway was expanded so that it could handle airliners, and in 1994 the facility opened as Williams Gateway Airport. Recently, the airport started performing flight training again, as the Phoenix valley's clear weather is preferable for these types of programs. Allegiant Air began services at the facility in October 2007, connecting the city to 13 other cities. On October 15 of that same year, the airport's name was changed again to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport. On January 21, 2017, KIWA welcomed its first international flight, along with two international destinations.
KIWA is located in Maricopa County in Southeastern Mesa, 20 miles southeast of Phoenix.
● The airport is a base for Allegiant Air.
● It covers 3,020 acres and has three parallel paved runways.
What To Dress For